When retirement nears and it’s time to decide whether the best choice is to remain in your home or move to an independent living community, assessing every aspect is key. One easy way to do that is to make a checklist for independent living to cover everything you need to find the right fit.
Here are the most essential points to include in your checklist for independent living.
Where you live in retirement can make a huge difference in quality of life as you age. Whether it’s your home town or someplace new altogether, take the time to honestly evaluate what different locations have to offer with the following questions on your checklist for independent living:
- Is the climate one that is healthy and safe for aging?
- Is the community located near essential services like health care, grocery stores, and pharmacies?
- Are emergency service providers (i.e., fire and ambulance) nearby?
- Is the community located near a city or town with diverse cultural and entertainment options?
- Is the community close to natural areas and places to enjoy being outdoors?
For a detailed overview of all that life at Sonrisa Senior Living in Roseville has to offer, check out our blog, “Live Well During Retirement in Roseville.”
Once you define a location, the next items on your checklist for independent living should cover housing choices. Today’s best independent living communities like Sonrisa Senior Living offer a level of luxury that may be surprising but should be expected. When compiling your checklist for independent living be sure to include the following questions:
- Are apartments available in different sizes and floor plans?
- Are apartments modern, clean and well maintained?
- Are apartments well-lit?
- Is flooring intact and safe?
- Do apartments come with patios or balconies?
- Do apartments have accessibility aides like grab bars and walk-in showers?
- Can you bring your own furniture and decorate to suit your tastes?
- Is privacy a priority?
These questions speak not only to the quality of housing available but also to your long-term quality of life. Take a closer look with our blog, “What to Look for and Questions to Ask When Touring a Retirement Community.”
Download our free Guide to Independent Living to learn more.
One of the primary reasons seniors move to independent living in retirement is for the active, purposeful and vigorous lifestyle. Today’s seniors embrace health and fitness like never before and as a result independent living communities have risen to the challenge. When completing your checklist for independent living be sure to add these questions:
- Is there a culture of wellness?
- What types of entertainment are provided?
- Is it easy to socialize and feel welcome?
- Are residents free to pursue their own passions?
- What types of community-wide events are common?
- Are there places to just relax and enjoy quiet time?
Each of these is a given at Sonrisa Senior Living where the emphasis is on living with purpose and pursuing personal fulfillment every single day, as described in our blog, “How Purpose Supports Successful Aging.”
A big part of living a carefree and active life is access to services that free up time and make life easier. To best compare services be sure to add the following questions to your checklist for independent living.
- Is weekly housekeeping included?
- Is weekly linen service included?
- Does the community offer concierge services?
- Is indoor and outdoor maintenance and repair included?
- Does the community have an on-site spa, hair salon and barbershop?
- Is local transportation included?
- Are there accommodations for pets (e.g., dog park and washing station)?
- Is 24-hour emergency response provided?
At Sonrisa Senior Living each of these services is part of our plan to provide the highest quality independent living experience available anywhere. Learn more in our blog, “What to Expect in an Independent Living Community.”
One more essential topic to cover on your checklist for independent living is amenities. The best independent living communities work hard to provide a wide variety of amenities to suit residents’ different tastes and desires from dining to fitness to entertainment. When wrapping up your checklist for independent living here are key questions to include.
- What different dining options are offered?
- Are meals chef-prepared, elegant and appetizing?
- Is there a theater onsite?
- Are there outdoor areas for recreation (e.g., pools, games, gardening areas, walking paths, etc.)?
- Is the fitness center state-of-the-art and are there different exercise options?
- What daily planned activities can be expected (e.g., classes, events, outings)?
Take a more in-depth look at what’s in store in our blog, “The Benefits of Living in an Independent Living Community.”
Why settle for mediocre when you can enjoy the beauty and luxury of independent living at Sonrisa? Contact us today to talk to our professionals and schedule your tour. Download our free Guide to Independent Living to learn more.