An important step in choosing the right retirement community is the tour. Getting the look and feel of a retirement community is essential to finding the one that is perfect for you. There’s more to take away from your tour if you know what to look for and what questions to ask while you are there.
Here’s a list to take along.
4 Essential Things to Look for When Touring a Retirement Community
1. Location: Just as it is with any new home, one of the most important aspects of a retirement community is location. How close it is to the local community and whether the area is safe and secure are important. For many seniors, proximity to family and friends is also key so keep that in mind for decision making.
2. Overall cleanliness: Needless to say, the spotlessness of a retirement community speaks volumes about how well it is managed and maintained. Are surfaces and public areas clean and tidy? Are hallways unobstructed and free from debris? Is the dining room well-staffed and spotless during and between meals? Are outdoor amenities like walking paths and patios kept ship shape? If any areas appear unclean or unkept, it’s a red flag.
3. Housing choices: Choosing the right retirement community also means choosing the right apartment. Whether you prefer a smaller cozy apartment or one with more living space the choice should be yours. Also look for what each apartment offers in luxury living. For example, at Sonrisa Senior Living our beautiful apartments include:
- Modern stainless-steel appliances
- Open floor plans and tall ceilings
- Quartz countertops
- Soft closing cabinets with under-cabinet lighting
- Walk-in showers
- Luxury vinyl hardwood flooring
- Walk-in closets in select units
- Balcony/patios in select units
- Electronic entry locks
Only you know what you prefer in an apartment so don’t settle for less.
4. Variety of things to do: Every retirement community tour should include areas where residents can gather, relax, and play so look for public spaces like libraries, fitness centers, gardens, theaters, activity rooms, yoga studios, and outdoor options like pools, dog parks, putting greens, and bocce-ball courts. Keep in mind that a carefree lifestyle includes plenty of time for fun so having a variety of things to do on-site is essential. Find out more about what to look for in our blog, “6 Things to Look for When Choosing an Independent Living Community.”
5 Essential Questions to Ask When Touring a Retirement Community
Asking the right questions is also important in choosing the right retirement community. These should include:
1. What services are included or offered for a fee? Housekeeping, linen services, interior and exterior maintenance, beauty salons and barber shops, day spas, emergency response, transportation, and concierge services are common in retirement communities, but some are included, and others are extra. In addition, utilities like electric, gas and basic cable as well as trash are often included while residents pay their own telephone bills.
2. What are the dining options? Today, a luxury retirement community like Sonrisa makes mealtime an event to remember! Chef-prepared meals are both elegant and nutritious and are served in a beautiful dining room with linens and everything to be expected from fine dining. But there are choices too, such as enjoying a home-cooked meal, having dinner delivered to your apartment, or enjoying a snack or meal at the Bistro or poolside. At Sonrisa we take nutrition tips from the Blue Zones as described in our blog, “Everyday Nutrition Tips to Support Successful Aging.”
3. Can I bring my own belongings? The short answer should be yes! One of the greatest benefits of moving to a retirement community is that you have the opportunity to bring what you like from your home or leave it all behind and start fresh. For many, that means downsizing before the move so they only bring what they really want. For more about knowing what to include in the move check out our blog, “Moving to a Retirement Community? Advice on What to Bring.”
4. Is decorating allowed? Making a new retirement community apartment a home should include the option of decorating as you see fit. At Sonrisa we encourage our residents to make the changes they want that reflect their personalities and preferences. From drapes, to paint, to furniture and more it is up to each resident to choose the style and décor they love. We even offer great tips in our blog, “How to Make Your Retirement Home Look Great Without Hiring a Professional Decorator.”
If you really want a carefree, luxurious lifestyle in retirement, look no further than Sonrisa Senior Living in beautiful Roseville, California. Contact us to learn more about our housing choices and amenities and to schedule your tour. Download our free Guide to Aging Well.